Probability and Statistics
Statistics and probability are the complementary disciplines of the science of uncertainty. That is, they deal both with systems that are intrinsically uncertain, such as the choice of a gene passed at random from parent to child, and with systems we believe not to be random but which are too complicated to model exactly, such as the climate.
There is uncertainty in almost every aspect of everyday life and, despite its reputation for exactness, in the scientific world too. Probability and statistics give us tools to handle this uncertainty in a principled manner.
The Probability and Statistics group in Bristol carries out research on many aspects of this science: modelling of random phenomena, methods for the analysis of data, and computational techniques for performing this modelling and analysis. The applications of this research are many and varied, ranging from the analysis of solar flares to robot navigation, from the behaviour of socially organised animals to traffic queues and from genetic research to signal processing.
- 2 Dec 2013
- Dr Laure Dumaz, Cambridge, will be visiting Balint Toth from 5-6 December.
- Dr Matt Nunes from University of Lancaster, is visiting Guy Nason from 5-6 December. He is based in in SMH.
- 26 Nov 2013
- Matti Vihola, University of Jyväskylä, is visiting Christophe Andrieu from 24 November to 6 December.
- 11 Nov 2013
- Codina Cotar from UCL is visiting Feng Yu from 14-15 November. She is located in 3.9.
- 11 Nov 2013
- Ilya Shpitser from Southampton is visiting Vanessa Didelez from 14-18 November.
- 4 Nov 2013
- Arnaud Doucet from Oxford is visiting Christophe Andrieu 4-6 November.
- 24 Oct 2013
- Nathanael Berestycki from Cambridge are is visiting Balint Toth 24-25 October.
- 23 Oct 2013
- Christophe Sabot from Lyon is visiting Balint Toth 23-26 October.
- 17 Oct 2013
- Alan Hammond from Oxford is visiting Balint Toth 17-18 October.
- 9 Oct 2013
- Qingyang Guan from Chinese Academy of Sciences is visiting Feng Yu 9-16 October. He is based in 3.9.
- 23 Sept 2013
- Welcome to Panayiota Constantinou, who joins us as a Brunel Fellow in Statistics.
- 17 Sept 2013
- Welcome to Nayia Constantinou, who joins us as a new Brunel Fellow in Stats.
- 9 Sept 2013
- Welcome to Sinan Yildirim, who joins us as a post-doctoral researcher with Christophe Andrieu.
- 17 Sept 2013
- Welcome to Nayia Constantinou, who joins us as a new Brunel Fellow in statistics.
- Some of the old news can be found here.
Our research is internationally recognised, receives the top rating from the national funding council, and is funded by a wide range of public and commercial organisations. It includes both fundamental work on the core of our disciplines, and inter-disciplinary collaboration with researchers in other subjects, both in Bristol and beyond. All of our work is mathematically rigourous, and all is ultimately stimulated by its potential in understanding the world around us.